Dr. Israel Martinez, LCSW, Certified Sex Therapist
I am a gay man (pronouns: he, him) who has been working with the LGBTQ+ community on a professional basis for close to 20 years. This background provides me with unique expertise on issues that tend to be a part of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer experience. I began my mental health work with the LGBTQ+ community at the New York City Gay and Lesbian Anti-Violence Project, and enhanced my experience with clinical positions at the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Community Center and Gay Men's Health Crisis (GMHC).
In addition to my clinical experience with the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender community, I have published a book (Helping Gay Men Find Love: Tips for Guys on Dating and Beginning a Healthy Relationship), am an American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, and Therapists (AASECT) certified sex therapist, have been trained in Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT), Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT), Relationship Therapy (Developmental Model), Group Therapy, and Mindfulness. I also provide trainings, lectures, and supervision to other therapists working with the LGBTQ+ and consensually non-monogamous communities.
- Modern Sex Therapy Institutes
- Columbia University, Master of Science in Social Work
- University of Pennsylvania, Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)
- Couples Therapy (Developmental Model)
- Sex Therapy (AASECT certified; Institute for Sexuality Education and Enlightenment; Modern Sex Therapy Institutes)
- Group Psychotherapy
To better serve the LGBTQ+ community, I brought on to my team a therapist that shares my enthusiasm and passion for working with LGBTQ+ clients: Isiah Lacefield, LPC.